Tuesday 3 September 2013

10 Things I Wish Were Never Popular













Hello again. Today, I will be listing the top 10 things currently (or formerly) popular among teens, that I really wish weren't (or hadn't been). I have to be honest, it was really hard condensing this list to just 10 things. Now, before you go any further, I must warn you that some people belonging to various popular fandoms may be offended.  But, in my eyes, these things are just appalling, and most certainly need to be dealt with . . . on the internet . . . on a blog that probably no one reads. So here goes:

10. Twilight
Don't even get me started with this one (it'll probably take me the rest of my life). Twilight, seriously? To be fair, I haven't read the books, so for all I know Stephanie Meyer might be some kind of literary genius, and Chris Weitz (director of said awful film series) went in a completely different direction when making the movies. However, I highly doubt that's the case. But the films, I can certainly judge. Being 100% honest, I never planned on watching any of the movies (the promos being enough to disgust me and turn me off completely), but after having the first 3 movies forced upon me while at a sleepover in 2010, I found that my initial expectations were not even close to the amount of atrociousness injected into that one film series. The terribly over-dramatised acting (strangely counteracted by the wooden performance from Kristen Stewart), the cheesy, painfully cliche script, and the concept of VAMPIRES THAT SPARKLE?!? This idea never had a chance. To be fair, being the huge 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' fan that I am (despite my only being 4 when the series finished), I have very high expectations for any supernatural film or television series. But this? Twilight is a joke. At least the first movie was entertaining (although not in the way it was intended). The lame dialogue that was meant to come across as romantic and sentimental provided me with humour as I sat through the horrid film. But the next two were just boring, convoluted, and stupid. I have not seen the last two movies in 'The Twilight Saga', nor do I have any desire to. Ever. I mean, come on, how can anyone possibly support a film series that uses the quote in the photo below to create drama? Drama! This officially concludes my longwinded, unnecessarily complicated, anti-twilgiht rant.




















9. 'Thigh Gap' Faze
Now, this one's just stupid. It's 'all the rage' at the moment to have an abnormal gap between your thighs. Number one, it's not even flattering. Personally, it really creeps me out, and reminds me of the small, underdeveloped, starved kids in 'Les´ Mis'. Do teenage girls really want to start imitating poor, pre-pubescent little girls from France in the 1800's? If you have it naturally, yay for you, but to strive to look like that, is kinda creepy. Also, I'm pretty sure it's not particularly healthy to have a MASSIVE SPACE BETWEEN YOUR LEGS. I'm one for the YOLO mentality regarding food, and especially regarding this. Let's get real, who wants a thigh gap when you can have a thigh clap? Touching thighs for life!


8. Duck Face
I actually have no idea how this even became popular. NEWSFLASH: Duck faces aren't attractive. Sorry to break the news to you, but they look really super weird and creepy. And anyway, I personally don't know anyone who would want people to refer to them as ducks, it's not a compliment. So why imitate one? You're just asking for it. I myself am super tempted to punch my screen whenever I see one on my Facebook newsfeed. Why teens, why? In the words of Edna Mode from 'The Incredibles':

















7. Ask.fm
No. Just no. For those of you who don't know (or are like me and have to research this kinda stuff), Ask.fm is an anonymous site where you can ask people any question you like. Are you starting to see the problem? Apparently, its been the number one cause for cyber bullying recently. Well isn't that a shocker, an anonymous website allowing to you ask anything you like is a cause of bullying. Who would've guessed? But what really annoys me are the people who publicise it. I don't think I've ever been able to scroll down my newsfeed without stumbling across a link to someone's Ask.fm page. When will people get the message that I don't really care about what's going on in their lives, so don't really want to take time out of mine to ask them about it. I don't even resent them for having the page, it's just the fact that they keep constantly trying to get me to go on it. I don't care!




















6. Hashtags
My anger isn't so much at the invention of hashtags themselves, but rather the hashtags that teens commonly use. Here are some examples of hashtags I absolutely, 100% hate:
- #nofilter
- #nomakeup
- #tagforlikes
I don't really care if people are wearing make-up or not! Putting the hashtag in won't make them more attractive, it just makes others (such as me) annoyed, and therefore more likely to unfollow them (I've been tempted many-a-time). And telling people to like your photo won't do any good. If I actually, legitimately like your photo, I will 'like' it cyber-ly also. I don't need a hashtag to tell me what photos to like. Seriously!?! Save your hashtags for another day.




















5. Justin Bieber
I know for a fact that this will cause some major disagreement in the land of Beliebers. So if you are a fan of the Biebs, I highly suggest you stop reading, like, right now. Well, now everyone's been officially warned, I can begin. Ever since he began, I was never really a fan. I must admit, I was dubious at first of his gender. Once I got that sorted, the 16 year old with the face of a 12 year old, released his first single, the chorus of which contained 3 words (and that's being generous). Even though he quickly wormed his way into the heart's of many, and was deemed the 'golden boy' by the paparazzi, I have never sunken down to that level of becoming one of his followers. That's definitely a good thing, especially considering his recent exploits (specifically outlined in one of my previous posts). So, bottom line, whether its the lame Justin or the cray Justin, aint nobody got time for that.



















4. 'Cross' Fashion Trend
Just thinking about this annoys me. I mean, I hate all of the 'Hipster' clothing around at the moment, but specifically the 'cross fashion' trend that we can't seem to shake. Seriously, I don't get the point of it. Everybody knows that the people who choose to follow this trend are the least religious people around (just take a look at the Facebook evidence). And if people are religious, stop wearing crosses on your clothing! Get one of those prayer booklets and rock it out in the privacy of your own home. Any promotion this hipster clothing gets, the longer it will be in fashion. Let's stick together and break the cycle!














3. The Cup Song
Before we get into anything, I have a confession to make. I myself am guilty of learning and performing the cup song on many occasions. To be fair, that was only a short time after I saw 'Pitch Perfect' last year, and I was unaware of its widespread popularity. So I got the shock of my life when I walked in the school gates and everybody had caught on. Of course, I stopped immediately (can't be thought of as mainstream), and am now firm in my mockery of people who continue to do it. Luckily, there are hardly any people who do it anymore, but occasionally I catch people tapping and singing away in the hallways (at least they have the decency to look ashamed). All in all, as far as I'm concerned, 'The Cup Song' is dead to me.










2. Taylor Swift
Ugh, just reading her name makes me gag. I am absolutely, 100% firm in my hatred of self-proclaimed country singer. First off, newsflash Taylor, holding an acoustic guitar while you sing doesn't make your music country! Secondly, maybe you should write about some new material. We get it, you've dated everyone on the planet, but are you unable to write about anything else? What makes it worse, is that for years, she was 'celebrated' by the paparazzi, and renowned as the 'wholesome, innocent country girl', and acted as a role model for young teens and pre-teens. So basically, what she's teaching them is that the only thing worthy of singing about is a bunch of failed relationships. At least everyone is now starting to cop on to the fact that maybe, in all of her liaisons, she's the problem. To top it all off, she can't even sing!












1. Twerking
And now, we finally reach number one, the horrendous faze that is 'twerking'. I honestly don't understand it. It never really meant that much to me, at all, until the video went viral of Miley in a unicorn onesie, and then it was everywhere. In fact, it was recently added to the Oxford Dictionary. Well that's great, to know that our generation has contributed twerking to society. Wow, what an achievement. And now, with the recent VMA twerking scandal (also involving Miley), the faze just never ends! It really is ridiculous that this craze has got so big. I just thought it would be like planking, and die out in a couple of months, no questions asked. But now celebrities are in on it, and the Oxford Dictionary's in on it . . . I honestly don't think there's any hope of taming the beast that is twerking.




















So there you go, the top 10 things I wish had never become popular. Hope you liked it, or found it entertaining, or at least haven't been to offended by the people and things I have brutally criticised. I'm sorry for my ranting.












But I guess that's what comes with the weirdness that is me. Anyway, til' tomorrow . . .

Annabel xx

3 comments:

  1. Agreed on almost all counts, only I would have put the Beiber as #1. That boy is creepier than Liberace crossed with latter-stage Michael Jackson and a bucket of aliens. I have no opinion on thigh gaps as I don't know anybody skinny enough to possess one. Also, some hashtags are fab. My fave is #nocontextforyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've had a hatred for the Beiber for several years now, but thought I might offend some of his followers if he were any further up the list (if he even has any followers left). I myself am quite a fan of both ironic and sarcastic hashtag use (having used quite a bit in the past), but when generic hashtags are used (often appallingly by members of my age group), I start to have problems with it.

      Delete
  2. Didja see the cop in soco from the young turks must be fed schpeel...there where a few stu dents that got tossesd like bean bags while they where sitting in the classroom...not good kiddozzz...didja see the one where the grrl is guided to the floor...face first...I aint got nothing for y@ kiddozzz...I'm not guilty...BLR...Lucky...blotter...I've never even changed a diaperrr before so far so good thank God there's no harm done...& I don't mean 2 burst your bubble but I'm of sound mind & I'm not a threat...& I'm never guilty of nothing...so don't come 2 me seeking a handout & don't bug or beg me because I'm not having my lifestyle cooned up by a bunch of kidozzz that act like gay raccoons with weed wackers tied to there arms...There are no arrests...no funerals...and no babies...for Brandi...period...BLR...LUCKY...blotter...no do I have self respect or what...no do I have self discipline or what...now do I have self control or what...my head and my ass and my bones don't shit split and shift for nobody...Quit shitting twice and dying because you can't blame me...you can't fuck me...you can't fuck with me...because I had it right the first time...since I'm sugar and spice and everything nice...think nice things and say nice things about me and dream nice thoughts about me since I'm never guilty of nothing...and I'd like to thank me and only me...Ms.BrandiLynnRhodus'...BLR...LUCKY...blotter.

    ReplyDelete